Tuesday, July 28, 2009

OS Records & 4th Braces Adjustment

About a week ago I saw my OS to discuss my records, see image predictions etc etc. So basically he told me that I have 2 options - I can get just lower jaw surgery (by bringing it back and rotating) or double jaw surgery (upper forward and lower back and rotated a bit). When I saw the image predictions (which show a side view), I didnt see that much of a difference between the 2. The OS said they can achieve a good bite with both types but that I would have better results with double jaw surgery because suppoesdly my upper jaw is somewhat deficient/retrusive and my face looks rather flat/long. He also told me that I look like I may be ready for surgery by the end of this year which shocked me because my orthodontist told me 8-10 months or so.. So I am still thinking whether I should go for the lower jaw only or double jaw but I think I am leaning towards double jaw because I don't want to regret it later and I'll be going under the knife either way so whats a couple more days of discomfort if the results will be much better - I guess that's the way I look at it now...

Yesterday I had my 4th braces adjustment. The missing molar on the bottom left - she told me that she won't be able to close that space and eventually I will need an implant there - not too happy about that but what can you do... She also said she spoke to the surgeon and told me I will not be ready for surgery by the end of this year.. it will take longer (much to my dismay!). The reason for that is because she wants to close the gap of the tooth they extracted a few months ago (before we knew I'd be having orthognathic surgery) and close another space for a missing tooth I have on top (I know - my mouth is so complicated!). She said that technically I could have the surgery before, and after she can work on closing the spaces even more; but she doesn't recommend that because she thinks they will be able to make better decisions during surgery when my spaces are all closed. Bummer, but if that's what is best then that is what I want.

So now, I'm just going to relax and wait for the orthodontist to give me word of when we're nearing surgery time so OS can get the insurance papers rolling.

Besides that, my teeth are sore today as usual.

2 comments:

  1. Hey,

    You'd be so surprised - people don't notice underbites as much as us underbiters do. I'm sure it's just the rubbish economic climate and not that standing in the way of your job! Try and keep confident even though you're self-conscious - that may be what's standing in your way!!

    And I had double surgery - my face was pretty obviously flat/retrusive but boy, I have some killer cheekbones now! Don't regret it at all!

    Hope you've found work since, but if not - stay positive!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. Thanks - I saw your pictures and you look great after the surgery. I hope my results are as good as yours...
    I still have had no luck wit the job situation; I guess it is at least partly due to the economy but I am still a bit down on myself ... =/
    Hope to see better times.

    ReplyDelete